Соборная площадь (Cathedral Square)


Cathedral Square

Cathedral of the Assumption. The grandfather of all the Kremlin churches, the Assumption Cathedral is the oldest and the biggest. Built in 1475 by Italian architect Aristotle Fiorovanti, this is where Ivan the Terrible was crowned Emperor in 1547 before becoming a stable for Napoleon’s horses in 1812. Their soldiers made off with the chandeliers now hanging overhead, some weighing over 5 tonnes. The cossacks brought them back after they caught up with the light-fingered Frenchmen. In 1918 the last Easter service was held here. Services resumed in 1990.

Cathedral of the Archangel Michael. A relative youngster on the Kremlin church scene, this cathedral was erected in 1505 and holds the tombs of Russian rulers from Ivan I to Tsar Ivan V. It also has more of an Italian renaissance feel to it with its Corinthian gables and turrets and white stonework.

Annunciation Cathedral. This imposing cathedral, where Russia’s Tsars were christened and married, was built by Pskov architects in 1482. The frescoes inside are considered to be some of the most valuable in Moscow given that prominent artists of the time including Andrey Rublyev (also buried here), Theophanes the Greek and Prokhor of Gorodetz all worked on them.

Cathedral of the Assumption. The grandfather of all the Kremlin churches, the Assumption Cathedral is the oldest and the biggest. Built in 1475 by Italian architect Aristotle Fiorovanti, this is where Ivan the Terrible was crowned Emperor in 1547 before becoming a stable for Napoleon’s horses in 1812. Their soldiers made off with the chandeliers now hanging overhead, some weighing over 5 tonnes. The cossacks brought them back after they caught up with the light-fingered Frenchmen. In 1918 the last Easter service was held here. Services resumed in 1990.

The Patriarch’s Palace. Once the home of the Moscow Patriarch, this grand medieval building is now a museum where ecclesiastical treasures of the Orthodox church are on display as well as various precious tableware, furniture, jewellery and clothing used in the court of the medieval Tsars. The building also often houses temporary exhibitions.

Church of the Deposition of the Robes. Taking its name from an ancient festival where the Virgin’s robes are transferred from Palestine to Constantinople (now Istanbul), this is a more modest cathedral nestled in a corner. Built in 1484 – 1485 by artists from Pskov, this church notably has stained glass windows. Along with some fine icons, inside you can also find wooden sculptures from the 15th century.

Ivan the Great Bell Tower. The impressive 60 metre high tower was built between 1505 and 1508. The adjoining belfry was built 15 years later and contains some 20 bells. The biggest bell (the world’s largest no less) however was too big to remain in its place and sits to the rear of the tower with a huge crack in it. In recent years the belfry has become home to a new high-tech exhibition which illustrates the history of the Kremlin’s changing architectural styles. It is also now possible to climb up the tower (that’s 137 steps to be exact) to admire the view over central Moscow and get a close up look at the bells. You must buy a separate ticket for the Ivan’s Bell Tower excursion at the excursion office before you enter the Kremlin and you can only go up the tower at the time indicated on your ticket.

Cathedral of the Archangel


  • The Cathedral of the Archangel in the Moscow Kremlin was built in 1508 by the Italian architect Aloisio the New.
  • A carved wooden iconostasis dating to the late 17 th century deserves special attention.
  • Most icons were painted in the 17 th century, the oldest of them being The Holy Archangel Michael and The Scenes of His Deeds, dated 1399.
  • The Cathedral’s mural paintings were created in the 17 th century by artists from the Kremlin’s Armoury Chamber, one of whom was the renowned icon painter Simeon Ushakov.
  • The Cathedral contains 54 graves, including those of Prince Ivan Kalita, Prince Dmitry Donskoy, Tsar Ivan the Terrible and Tsar Michael I of Russia.
  • The Cathedral offers guided tours in Russian, English, German, French, Spanish and Italian.

The Cathedral of the Archangel Russian: Arkhangelskiy sobor or Архангельский собор of the Moscow Kremlin was built in the early 16 th century and dedicated to the Archangel Michael, the leader of God’s armies and the guardian of Paradise. In the past, it was the main necropolis of the grand princes of Moscow, as well as the site of funeral services. Very few people not related to the tsar’s family were granted the honour of burial ins > Peter the Great ruled from 1682 until 1725 after the relocation of the capital to St. Petersburg.

History of the cathedral of the Archagel

The present-day stately stone cathedral was constructed by an Italian architect named Aloisio the New in 1508. Grand Prince Ivan III known as the #gatherer of the Rus’ lands#, he ruled from 1462 until 1505 of Russia ordered Aloisio to take inspiration from Russian architecture, therefore the resulting cathedral incorporated many elements of both Russian and Venetian styles. The cathedral’s history dates back to the 13 th century, when a wooden church was founded on this spot by Mikhail Yaroslavich Khorobrit, the brother of St. Prince Alexander Nevsky a key figure of medieval Rus’ known for his military victories over German and Swedish invaders in the 13th century , in honour of his patron saint, Archangel Michael.

Architecture and decoration

he cathedral is located on Borovitsky Hill Russian: Borovitskiy kholm or Боровицкий холм , with amazing views from the s > Moskva River Russian: Moskva-reka or Москва-река . It is reminiscent of a mediaeval Venetian palazzo, as the wall’s surface, divided vertically by classic pilasters and horizontally by cornices, covered with ornate decorations from top to bottom reflects the cathedral’s inner design to a lesser extent than do many ancient Russian churches. A abundance classical decorative elements as cornices, pilasters and capitals creates the impression of synchronicity and visually splits the building into two tiers. Adorned with blind arches, the lower tier appears massive, while rectangular recessed panels embellish the upper tier. Unusual sculptures, shell-shaped niches and medallion windows are visible in the upper section of the cathedral.

The building is a cruciform domed church, i.e. its two crossing central aisles are topped with a dome at their intersection. The Cathedral features five domes, highlighting its special significance. Notice that four domes out of five are not golden – this reflects that the cathedral is used as a necropolis. From the s > Cathedral Square Russian: Sobornaya ploshchad or Соборная площадь , the building appears overly elongated – this is because a gallery was annexed to the loggia’s western part for use by the ruling family.

The tiered structure gives the impression that the inner space of the church is divided into two floors. This is not the case, however. Enter the cathedral, and you will find yourself in a cramped and dark space typical of traditional Russian architecture. This effect is produced by the narrow arrow slit windows which do not allow much light to pass, the dark walls covered entirely with frescos, the dome-supporting pillars, and the tombs lined up along the walls. It is worth noting the 17 th -century carved wooden iconostasis. While most of the icons in the cathedral date back to the 17 th century, the oldest is the patronal icon entitled The Holy Archangel Michael and the Scenes of His Deeds Russian: Mikhail Arkhangel s zhitiyom or Михаил Архангел с житием , dated 1399. The Icon of Our Lady of the Blessed Heaven Russian: ikona Bozhey Materi «Blagodatnoe nebo» or икона Божией Матери «Благодатное небо» (1678-1680) is known for its apparent healing properties.

Of special interest are the frescos, painted in the 17 th century by artists from the Kremlin Armoury Russian: Oruzheynaya palata or Оружейная палата , including the well-known icon-painter Simeon Ushakov. They are based on the ideology of the unity of church and state. As with other Russian religious buildings, the frescos are located in the dome and the apse and also cover the walls in tiers. Many scenes portray the miracles worked by the Cathedral’s patron saint, St. Michael the Archangel. What is unusual about the mural paintings are the representations of the deceased princes, located right over their graves. These are full-length portraits of the princes, whose figures face the altar, with medallion-shaped images of their patron saints above their heads. The princes embody the strengthening of Moscow and the gathering of the Russian lands, a cause for which they fought during their lifetimes.

If the Russian history is a subject of your interest and you want to know, for example, what is the oldest church in Moscow, what are the famous monasteries around Moscow, which style of Moscow architecture you can see only in this town, you can read on our website pages about Red square Moscow and “History and Architecture”.

Burials in the cathedral of the Archangel

The Cathedral contains 56 burials, including sarcophagi with the remains of women from grand prince and tsar families transferred here from the Ascension Convent Russian: Voznesenskiy monastyr or Вознесенский монастырь just before its demolition by the Bolsheviks members of a wing of the Russian Social-Democratic Workers’ Party, which, led by Lenin, seized control of the government in Russia (October 1917) and became the dominant political power in 1929. Some of the most outstanding Russian historical figures buried here include Grand Prince Ivan Kalita Grand Duke of Moscow from 1325 and Vladimir from 1332 , Grand Prince Dmitry Donskoy the first prince of Moscow to openly challenge Mongol authority in Russia , Tsar Ivan the Terrible ruled from 1533 to 1584 and Tsar Michael I of Russia (Romanov) the first Russian Tsar of the house of Romanov after the zemskiy sobor (the first Russian parliament of the feudal Estates type) of 1613 . The tombs in the Cathedral mark the place of interment, while the graves themselves are located beneath the floor slabs. The cathedral illustrates the dynasty of Moscow rulers, with over 40 tombs of Moscow princes and tsars, from Ivan Kalita to Ivan Alekseyevich, Peter I ruled from 1682 until 1725 ’s brother. The last Romanov to have been buried in the Cathedral of the Archangel was Emperor Peter II, who died of smallpox in Moscow in 1730. The cathedral also contains the relics of Saints Prince Michael of Chernigov one of the most powerful princes in Rus’ on the eve of Mongol invasion and Tsarevich Dmitry of Uglich, the youngest son of Ivan the Terrible.

Соборная площадь, Крайстчерч – Cathedral Square, Christchurch

Соборная площадь , локально известная просто как на площади , находится географический центр и сердце Крайстчерча , Новая Зеландия, где города англиканский собор, собор Крайстчерч находится. Квадрат стоит на теоретическом пересечении двух основных ортогональных улиц города, Коломбо – стрит и Вустер – стрит , хотя на практике оба были либо блокированы или свернуть вокруг самой площади. Собор был сильно поврежден в феврале Крайстчерче землетрясения 2011 года .



Площадь была первоначально предназначена называться Ридли площади, после протестантской мученика Николая Ридли , но в Эдвард Джолли «s 1850 плана центральной Крайстчерче она четко обозначена на Соборную площадь. Ридли со-мученики и коллега епископов, Кранмер и Латимер имеют Квадраты , названные в честь них, не далеко удаленных от Соборной площади. Оригинальный выбор Ридли является еще одним из многих ссылок Крайстчерч в Оксфорде , так как Ридли был замучен там.


В первоначальном обследовании центральной Крайстчерче (известный как Черная карта ), которая была предпринята в 1850 г. , было предусмотрено для Колледжа Христа и Крайстчерче собор будет построен рядом друг с другом на Соборной площади, смоделированной на церкви Христа, Оксфорд . Область, отводимая для колледжа в Соборной площади была признана недостаточной, и Генри Сьюэлл предложил в июне 1853 года, чтобы переместить колледж на землю , зарезервированную для Крайстчерч ботанических садов . Эта сделка была оформлена через Соборную площадь Декрет 1858 , закон , принятый в Совете провинции Кентербери в октябре 1858 года таинств позволил Коломбо улицы идти прямо через середину Соборной площади в правовой ширине 1,5 цепей (99 футов; 30 м), и собор , чтобы быть размещены к западу от этой магистрали.

Христианство приняло практику молитвы к Востоку , как Восток мыслились как содержащие оригинальный дом в человечестве. Таким образом, большинство христианских церквей ориентированы на востоке, и для выполнения этой конвенции, Генри Харпер , первый Крайстчерч Бишоп , лоббировал иметь восточную сторону Соборной площади , которая будет использоваться для про-собор. Таким образом, главный вход столкнется Colombo – стрит, в результате чего молиться на восток , в соответствии с конвенцией. Соборная площадь Поправка Указ 1859 , который был принят через год после предыдущего постановления, формализованные изменение размещения собора.

Непосредственно перед работой на фундаменте Архангельского собора началось в 1864 году, выравнивание Коломбо улицы через Соборную площадь была изменена снова путем введения кривой в направлении на запад; западная сторона правовой дороги имела радиус 3 цепи 75 звеньев (75 м). Целью этого изменения было позволить размещение собора чуть дальше на запад, что делает его башню видимым вдоль Colombo – стрит с расстояния. До точки работы , начиная с собором, здесь изначально было немного развития.

Статуя Джона Роберта Годли , основателя города, был открыт 6 августа 1867 г. на постаменте напротив собора. Это была первая публичная статуя в Новой Зеландии. Города Главпочтамт был расположен рядом с площадью в 1879 году.

На протяжении многих лет Соборная площадь была переработана несколько раз. Два существенных изменения произошли, когда дорога в передней части собора был закрыт в 1965 году, и дорога перед почтовое отделение закрыто в 1972 г. В конце 1990-х / начале 2000-х годов, площадь подверглась существенной реконструкции с использованием новой плитки. Это было часто критикуют проект, например, на сумму бликов, что плитка издававшей в сухую погоду, или плитки быть скользким при намокании.

Хотя всегда называется «квадрат», его форма является крестообразной.

Зарегистрированные места наследия

Соборная площадь имеет большое количество зданий и статуи, которые зарегистрированы в качестве элементов наследия с наследием Новой Зеландией . Многие из них были повреждены в феврале Крайстчерче землетрясения 2011 года , и некоторые из них будут потеряны , как следствие.

Категория I место

  • Крайстчерче собор является, пожалуй, самым важным зданием наследия. Его номер регистра 46 и он был зарегистрирован 7 апреля 1983 года.
  • Пресс Здание было зарегистрировано 2 апреля 1984 года, с регистрационным номером 302. Он был значительно поврежден в результате землетрясения в феврале 2011 года и был разрушен в июле 2011 года.
  • Бывший главный почтамт был также зарегистрирован 2 апреля 1984 года, с регистрационным номером 291.
  • Старое правительственное здание было зарегистрировано 5 апреля 1984 года, с регистрационным номером 301.
  • War Memorial Граждан была зарегистрирована 6 сентября 1984 года, с регистрационным номером 3693.
  • Godley Статуя была зарегистрирована 2 апреля 1985 года, с регистрационным номером 3666. статуя упала с его постамента в 2011 году Крайстчерч землетрясения и капсулах времени , обнаруженных внутри плинтуса.
  • Regent театр был зарегистрирован 30 августа 1990 года, с регистрационным номером 1918.
  • Lyttelton времена здание было зарегистрировано 16 декабря 1994 года с регистрационным номером 7216. Он был разрушен в 2011 году.

Категория II места

  • Sevicke Jones Здание было зарегистрировано 28 апреля 1995 года , с регистрационным номером 7226. здания разрушились в результате землетрясения в феврале 2011 года.
  • Отель Уорнера была зарегистрирована 24 апреля 1997 года, с регистрационным номером 7384. Историческая часть отеля была снесена.

функция транспорта

Когда паровые трамваи начали работать в городе в 1880 году, они ушли с площади. Позже, когда автобусы заменили трамваи в 1954 году, площадь была использована в качестве основного пункта отправления. Трамваи вернулся в 1995 году, с введением поездки туристического трамвая вокруг центральной части города. Большинство автобусов покинули площадь, когда автобус Обмен в Личфилд-стрит открыт в ноябре 2000 года С тех пор, использование общественного транспорта на площади был на автобусе аэропорта, такси и автобусы. После землетрясения Крайстчерче февраля 2011 года, ядро ​​центральной части города было закрыто для публики. Первая часть центральной части города, Кэшел улице между Коломбо-стрит и Оксфорд Террас, планируется быть вновь открыт 29 октября 2011 Другие области, в том числе Соборной площади, будет следовать позже.

В течение многих лет, площадь была занята дорога пересечение. В 1962 году дорога в передней части собора был закрыт. В 1972 году он был перестроен, чтобы обеспечить большие пешеходные зоны, а также на юго-западе квадрант был закрыт для движения транспорта.

Текущая функция

Площадь была основным местом встречи города для людей , принимая перерыв от работы, или просто посетить город, и является постоянным местом уличных исполнителей и спикеров всех сортов. Наиболее известные из них был Волшебником из Новой Зеландии .

Начиная с 2000 годом, Чаша , большая часть современной скульптуры в форме перевернутого конуса, стояло на площади расстройства формы завитка , который поднялся над собором. Chalice, разработанный Новой Зеландии художник Нил Доусон , состоит из сорока двух моделей листьев с участием различных местных растений. Площадь и площадь вокруг него в настоящее время открыт для публики еще раз.

Ссылка на основную публикацию